As a trusted fiduciary, our primary goal is to protect and perpetuate our clients’ wealth. Sarasota Private Trust Company (SPTC) provides clients with fully customized, tax-managed, investment advice based on unbiased and independent analysis. Services include comprehensive investment portfolio construction, best in class co-investment opportunities, portfolio credit surveillance, and risk/performance analysis.
Our investment professionals are uniquely qualified to act as your fiduciary with insight and stewardship to manage investment portfolios via Separately Managed Accounts (SMAs). SPTC’s portfolio managers currently oversee investment portfolios of over $2 billion, comprised primarily of individual bonds across the municipal, corporate, mortgage-backed, and US Treasury sectors in addition to proprietary equity ETF models. Our portfolio managers have long tenures with the organization and have successfully managed through the wide range of interest rate and credit cycles seen over the last three decades.
An SPTC SMA requires $5 million of investable assets and has a flat fee which declines for accounts over $20 million. SMAs are designed to meet the specific investment objectives of individuals, foundations, trusts, and non-profit organizations. SMAs are governed by an Investment Policy Statement (IPS) developed in consultation with the client’s needs and expectations. For fixed income and equity ETF portfolios, SMAs offer certain advantages over mutual funds that allow for better management of credit risk, portfolio duration, and taxes.
Two Sarasota entrepreneurs sum up their Sarasota Private Trust Company experience as follows:
“After selling a significant portion of a background check business we painstakingly built over the last 30 years, we joined Sarasota Private Trust Company – drawn in by the founding family, who are multi-generational wealth builders that truly understood us. After several years as satisfied clients, we became investors in SPTC because we recognized their private banking model prioritized fiduciary responsibility and they were always fully aligned with our best interests. We enjoy all of the benefits offered by large banks and investment advisors, but with none of the hassles or exorbitant fees – and are genuinely treated like family!”
– Ray & Jeanne Conrad
General Information Services (GIS)
Managed ETF Platform
SPTC’s expert Investment Committee carefully selects three core strategic allocations that represent our baseline view of the economy and global markets. The models are adjusted based on the client’s investment horizon within each risk profile. Further, strategic allocations are tactically shifted globally over time across markets, sectors, and styles based on qualitative and quantitative factors. The benefits of ETFs are numerous and include cost savings, diversification, tax efficiency, liquidity and flexibility.
ETFs Will Save You Money
ETFs have substantially lower expense ratios than actively managed mutual funds.
Source: Investment Company Institute
SPTC ETF Platform Fees vs RIA Platform Fees
SPTC’s Fee Advantage would produce an additional $6.6 million return vs. a traditional RIA platform investing in mutual funds.
Source: Investment Company Institute, AdvisoryHQ
The key to successful ETF investing is getting the macro allocation and diversification among them right. SPTC’s Investment Committee oversees every client portfolio and allocates ETFs within our own portfolios. We know what to do, but most importantly, we know what not to do for ourselves and for our clients.
SPTC provides services as a fiduciary designed to assist investors in all aspects of decision-making related to the investment of their assets.
- Investment objectives development
- Investment strategy review
- Asset and liability modeling
- Analysis of unique investment opportunities
- Investment manager due diligence and monitoring
- Performance reporting, evaluation and monitoring
- Education on investment and governance related topics
We invest with a long term perspective and create customized investment strategies that will enable clients to meet their objectives. Our investment programs are specific to client needs, and are:
- Consistent with investment time horizons
- Reflective of risk tolerances
- Designed to meet liquidity needs
- Monitored on an ongoing basis
SPTC Fee Advantage
Sarasota Private Trust Company’s business model is superior to the typical Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs), broker dealers and competing private banks. SPTC presents a significant competitive advantage for separately managed accounts greater than $5 million. Comparable portfolio managers often layer investment management fees that far exceed a percentage point. Over a 10 year investment period, a $20 million portfolio can save $3.0 million in fees under the SPTC Fee Advantage structure.
Trust & Estate Administration
SPTC offers a full range of fiduciary services that take into account investment management, tax, reporting and estate planning needs. At all times, we act in our clients’ best interests by remaining objective and avoiding any potential conflicts of interest. SPTC does not invest trust assets in proprietary investment products. We seek access to the best available managers and monitor their performance ensuring they continue to perform in our clients’ best interests.
- Intellectual Capital – Our staff of fiduciary experts has extensive experience working with high net worth families and individuals administering sophisticated estates and trusts with traditional and non-traditional fiduciary assets.
- Services Offered – SPTC offers a complete array of trust services including acting as executor of an estate, administrative trustee, full trustee, co-trustee, trustee of charitable remainder or foundation trusts, trustee of life insurance trusts, Rollover IRAs, Dynasty Trusts and Asset Protection Trusts.
- The Delaware Advantage – By offering trust administration through our Delaware based trust affiliate; New York Private Trust Company, we extend to our fiduciary clients the benefits of a trust jurisdiction that is forward thinking, innovative and respected in fiduciary and investment matters. Our Delaware trust situs allows an individual to create trusts having perpetual duration, asset protection capability with flexibility in financial planning and investment management. These strategies often allow favorable tax treatment by eliminating or reducing state fiduciary income tax.
Proper estate planning includes both minimizing future tax liabilities and ensuring our clients’ wealth is distributed according to their wishes.
SPTC’s fiduciary experts have extensive experience working exclusively with high net worth families and individuals in administering sophisticated estates. This experience includes administering estates with traditional assets (stocks, bonds and tangible personal property), as well as non-traditional assets such as real estate holdings, operating business interests, partnerships, oil and gas interests, collectibles, hedge funds, private equity, structured notes and other alternative investments.
Estate administration services include:
- Identifying and valuing estate assets
- Paying taxes, creditors and expenses
- Preparing and filing tax documents
- Distributing assets to beneficiaries
Our substantial experience in dealing with sophisticated investments, real estate portfolios and operating business interests, allows us to assess a client’s entire portfolio and adopt a course of action designed to maximize value for the family, even if it means continuing to hold such assets. Estates owning real estate assets have access to the Milstein family’s world-class experience in developing, managing and operating real estate domestically and internationally. Similarly, through our affiliates, New York Private Bank & Trust’s fiduciary experts have access to sophisticated investment and business specialists with deep experience in evaluating on-going businesses, hiring and over-seeing management and determining how to best maximize value.
Managing cash and liquidity is a critical element of any private banking wealth solution. At Sarasota Private Trust Company, your dedicated private banker will discuss with you deposit and credit solutions to meet your liquidity needs. Solutions are custom tailored to suit your specific risk tolerance, time horizon, personal goals and objectives.
Sarasota Private Trust Company offers several credit solutions to help you manage your liquidity requirements while keeping your assets fully invested. By leveraging the credit capabilities of our parent company, Emigrant Bank, we are able to offer you a number of customized credit products. These may include:
- Loans secured by diversified marketable securities
- Loans secured by illiquid securities
- Loans secured by specialty assets (i.e. fine art, real estate…)
- Lines of credit for personal and business use
Sarasota Private Trust Company offers checking and savings accounts to our private clients with preferred rates on high balance accounts. Our products include:
- Personal checking accounts
- Business checking accounts
- Chairman’s Account: a savings account with preferred rates for higher balances
Through our subsidiary, NYPB&T Precious Metals, LLC, we offer clients the ability to efficiently purchase and store physical precious metals including gold, silver, platinum, and palladium (bullion bars and coins). Using our state-of-the-art technology platform, we provide access to an institutional dealer network for transactions and a global network of secure vaulting facilities for safe storage of allocated bullion.
Gold as an Asset Class
- Our experts are highly experienced in helping clients understand the dynamics of gold investing and how gold may help them preserve wealth for future generations.
Gold’s Role in Portfolio Construction
- “True” portfolio diversification – low correlation to most asset classes in “normal” markets and negatively correlated during periods of market stress.
- Moderate volatility can be useful for protecting against losses from “tail events” and financial crises.
- Protection against wealth decay, impacts of inflation and currency devaluation.
Transparency and Liquidity
- The gold market is deep and liquid with limited credit or counterparty risk.
- Transactions are performed on an agency basis through a network of institutional dealers that actively compete for each transaction.
- Our competitive bidding model provides transparency, best execution, and access to a broad pool of liquidity.
Security, Storage, and Delivery
- Bullion is stored in allocated form and clients retain direct, titled ownership at all times.
- Clients may take possession or move holdings between vault locations and transfer-in metals held elsewhere.
- Global storage locations: Salt Lake City, New York, Toronto, London, Zurich, Singapore, and Melbourne.
- Client holdings are fully insured for 100% replacement value by Lloyd’s of London.
- Physical audits of stored metals by KPMG at each vault location
- Precious metals are delivered via insured, commercial courier or armored vehicle